Warning, if you don’t care about ponies or if you do and don’t want spoilers don’t read this.
That means you
MLPFIM's 100th episode
Slice of Life
Never thought I’d see this when I started the show way back with Season 2 and Discord. Not only did MLP:FIM reach 100 episodes but that it actually acknowledges its own fans for better or for worse. Way back in season 2/season 3 I did reviews and posted them on a Zelda forum. I thought of returning, but didn’t for season 4. Now that I’ve watched this episode and partially encouraged by ’s watching the series for the first time and writing reviews on it, I’ve decided it’s time to drudge this old skeleton out of the closet like season 5 brings old characters back from the abyss for years old pay offs. Also, there was a 2 week delay between the last episode and this one. I feel a little strongly about this. It made me want to start ax murdering passerbys from the lack of my weekly dose of ponies. I settled for slaughter in Pay Day 2 and Empire: Total War Darthmod. Anyways, The big thing about this episode is that it stars background characters that the fandom has blown so out of proportions it has become a show within a show. This is easily the episode’s greatest strength, but also it’s greatest weakness. Why is that? Well, let’s break it down to the GOOD, the BAD, and the RANDOM.
1.) For starters the things this episode does that doesn’t make me want to drink mercury.
- The framing device for the episode was good for this type of episode and it is soooo much better executed than Just for Sidekicks . Instead of giving us a horrible Charlie Foxtrot, they used a few ponies to frame the stories. Namely, Doctor Whooves, Derpy, Octavia, Vinyl Scratch, and…. Lyra and Bon Bon. Uhuh, I’ll get to those last two later. And we have the stars of the show, the ones we haven’t seen in forever, the overdramatic mares that go “The Horror! THE HORROR!” There is also some good comedy with Luna (BEST PRINCESS!) and Celestia as well as a cute “d’aw” moment with them too. Then there is more emasculation of Shining Armor to the point he has to be some kind of eunuch by now. Well, I could just say he has a sensitive soul which explains how he roped Cadence, but poor guy needs some shots of testosterone.
- Most of the characters felt believable, like we were getting a slice of their life (ha) in a town where monster attacks and destroys half the town during a wedding. You know, Tuesdays. Yeah Applebloom you better hope it's not a friendship problem last I recall you experienced that Lesson Zero. Of these groups, I liked Octavia and Vinyl Scratch the best. Their house would make Two- Face feel at home, they drive the plot the most, and their song they make (that I can’t recall them actually playing at the wedding) was awesome! Time to convert that to MP3 off Youtube!
- The voices: 99% of the voices are spot on perfect. PRAISE CELESTIA! They finally, finally have found a Derpy voice that sounds, well, derpy and not like someone who needs some kind of institutionalization! There is hope for MLP!
*PLAYS HALLULIA CHOIR*
Doctor Whooves, the walking and talking reference machine that all of the hipsters will get, sounds that magically British that you see in stuff like Mary Poppins and other kids shows but can never seem to find British people who sound like that in real life. Octavia’s voice is as musical as the songs she plays. And then there’s Vinyl Scratch who they do the best thing with. She doesn’t talk at all! She just makes me wonder why Doctor Whooves lives alone tinkering with stuff that steampunkers will build while she has FREAKING BASS POWERED CAR THAT PROBABLY IS EQUIPPED WITH A BASS CANNON!
*Face melts from the awesome*
But seriously, the fact that she doesn’t talk is not only funny, it’s good for my sanity because every time I think of her talking all I hear is “WUBA DUB DUB MUTHAFKERS!”
What about that 1%.... well…
2.) Things that make me want to stand in front of a mirror and cry
The award for voice that makes me stare at the mirror and cry- Steven Magnus. See, it’s not that it’s horrifically stereotypical flaming but the fact that’s the joke. Hahaha he sounds like a stereotypical gay person laugh at how he talks he thinks he's people. I read a nice article once where media needs to drop some stereotypes as jokes like the sassy black women, hopelessly unsexy nerds, and being gay is the punch line. Like Chris Rock says, “That’s just mean!” Jumping off the soap box now.
- Removing the Mane Six works, but I do wonder why Rarity is there fighting. And her combat experience is…? Also, wouldn’t Fluttershy try to defend or reason with the Bug Bear like she did with the Manticore? Also wouldn’t removing the bear from town help prevent collateral damage?
- Big Lebowski pony never says dude. He says man. This makes no sense in this context and Dude would have been more appropriate.
- Okay, so I beat around the bush enough, why did I say that this episode’s greatest strength is also its greatest weakness? Surely this is the best episode ever conceived in all of fiction and it will be a fan favorite right? Well, if you follow the fandom yes. What do I mean? The problem lies in one word- context. This is a DVD side feature masquerading as an episode. Imagine you have no internet, or are this shows target audience, or you don’t go to cons and see that Derpy and Doctor Whooves shirts sell more than Mane Six ones. Imagine you have never ever heard of Doctor Whooves, Derpy, Octavia, Vinyl Scratch, or any of ‘em. Heck, they don’t even say Derpy Octavia, or Vinyl Scratch’s name. So I ask you, if you are not a part of the fandom that the show is acknowledging or even worse 20 years from now someone tries to show their friend MLP:FIM, this episode will make literally no sense. These characters are not even secondary characters, they are more along the lines of tertiary characters. The episode barely explains anything about these characters within the episode, and even worse, more than likely the spotlight is going to be off these characters maybe indefinitely now that the fans are placated. I don’t think the good Doctor or Derpy will play a role in a plot for the rest of the season, maybe not even the rest of the show. So, fans within the fandom, can you explain all of the ponies within the episode to the people who missed the fandom bandwagon? Yeah sure you can explain Derpy or Vinyl Scratch or Doctor Whooves, but what about Berry whatever her faces is? I don't even know who she is! XD
EDIT: I've heard that this episode is suppose to be a parody joke. Thing is though, if that's the case, why acknowledge it as something more at the end? Like a thank you to the fans? I've seen cartoons do random things and sometimes acknowledge fan fantasies but that's all they were they weren't some kind of meta-thank you. Again, if this a joke, what if I don't get it? Even parodies can be taken at face value. No joke is fun if it needs to be explained.
3.) Finally, so we don’t end on a bad note, the random! Things that made me feel like I dropped so much LSD.
- Lyra and Bon Bon… not only their “We know each other sooooooo well” dialogue make me want to quote Animaniacs “Goodnight everybody!” but also the reveal that Bon Bon was a… monster hunter secret agent? All these squares made a circle.
All these squares made a circle. All these squares made a circle. That makes as much sense. While mildly amusing because of the set up that they know each other so well, from a story stand point Bon Bon’s reveal is completely inconsequential in the plot of the episode and they just make up immediately so the conflict is negligible. Yeah the writers respect fandom but not enough to have the subplots spill over into other episodes. Hope you enjoyed it while it lasted kiddies.
- *gets on top hat, glasses, and sips tea* Well said Gummy, I concur. The idea that these are the introspection of Gummy all of the time might be the funniest thing ever in the history of ever.
- Mayor Mare has the power to wed people? Holy Maretrimony? Is this yet another sign of Equestria as a oppressive Matriarchy? The signs are there people! Don’t believe the cover up! Free the stallions of Equestria!
- I’m going to end with random Changeling like the episode. WHO IS THIS? WHY IS IT HERE? WITH ALL OF THE PRINCESSES? IS THAT SCOOTALOO? AM I INSANE? WHAT DOES IT MEAN?! WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!